A generational story....

A 1000 miles into this trip has me pondering a few questions.  How in the world did I end up riding my bike across the country with two of my kids?  The story as I know it goes back to my childhood.  My dad would take my two brothers and I on canoe trips down the rifle river in Michigan.  It was a blast.  When I was 17 years old my mom passed away from a 5 year battle with cancer.  It was heartbreaking.  At the time I was consumed with my own grief to consider what my dad may be experiencing.  Now at 50 years old and father I can get a glimpse of the overwhelming weight he was carrying.  That summer, my dad and my two brothers started taking adventures together for the next 14 summers.  They were high risk adventures that took us places like Colorado, Saskatoon and Alaska.  We formed lifetime memories on these trips.  My dad was 50 years old when he started these trips.  They weren't cheap or easy on the body.  My dad put a stake in the ground to keep us together as a family and for that I am truly thankful.  You can read the full story Here that we presented to my dad on his 80th birthday.







The first 1000 miles have provided plenty of adventure and challenge.  We have been through snow, rain and sun.  Long back to back days of 80 - 100 miles.  It has been grueling at times.  Henry and Layla have taken it all with a smile on their faces.  They have a grit and toughness to them that is inspiring.  Where did that come from?  The story as I know it goes back to my father's childhood.  My dad got hired at the local skating rink after he cleaned the toilet spotless and told the owner, "it will never be this clean by anyone else."  While he was sweeping the manager took the broom out of his hand and said, "if you break this broom I will buy you another one." These formative stories are part of our family history now.  Did I mention he didn't even know how to roller skate?  He fell so many times on his first day on the floor he could barely drive his car home.   My dad started an automotive parts supplier business when I was 8 years old.  Start ups require a lot of work and there would be days we would be drafted to work long days in the factory sorting parts which was an incredibly monotonous job.  I wish I could say I always had a good attitude.  As I got older I would work 10 and 11 hour days.  Hard Work was modeled and expected.  I am thankful I grew up in a time where we didn't have to be coddled and over encouraged to do the basics.  

The summer of 2020 we built a family cabin together and my dad was true to his character.  In his late 70s he was the last one to leave the jobsite, nor hesitant to pick the broom, or help in any way he could.  All my kids were blessed to witness his work ethic.  Thank you dad!  We are standing on your shoulders of the foundation you laid. The tradition continues!  










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Backstory

Day 1 (June 2nd, 2024) - A brutal start

Day 4 (June 5th, 2024)