Day 56 - The Famous White Dog Of KY & VA And An Encounter With An Angry Mom (July 27th, 2024)

City To City: Wheelwright - Council
Miles: 68
Miles Total: 3,779
Flats: 13

Hanging Out With Norma With Food Piled On Our Plates


In the morning, my dad immediately told Henry to take Advil. Henry was feeling it but felt like he could do it, so he got on his bike and rode almost seventy miles.
Mark returned to the store early and got some eggs for French toast. We ate that and finished it all. We ate some leftover cookies from the night before, too.
We took it slower for the day, and the morning flew by. We stopped for lunch at a grocery store and ate lunch at an employee table just outside the back door. They had a sign that said EMPLOYEES ONLY TABLE, but all the employees who came in and out of the back door nodded to us and were never bothered by us using their table.
We got to the Virginia border, and Matt asked, "Where's the white dog all the cyclists talk about?"
We had seen a white dog maybe a mile before the border and thought that dog was pretty docile.
We were coming up one of the last hills for the day, and suddenly, my dad and I heard air horns going off.  And so, we turn the corner.  Henry's off his bike, and the famous white dog looks at us and immediately goes after my dad.  My dad blows his airhorn, which doesn't deter the dog.  Then I blow my airhorn to distract it.  That catches the dog's attention.  Then it decided to go for me!  The dog goes for my leg since I don't have anything on my bike.  All the while we're going uphill, we can't outrun the great pyrenees dog.  With its lip curled and all its teeth showing, it came within a foot of my leg.  I rarely scream unless I'm happy or excited.  Well, this time I screamed in terror!  Later I realized I had screamed in the same pitch as my airhorn!
So, I'm pedaling as fast as I can, and the dog almost runs me off the road. But Henry is right there, dog spray in hand, and he tells me to ride right past him. So, I do. Henry attempts to spray it, but it doesn't work, and he gets some in his mouth. 
Matt was behind us, so when he went through, the dog was distracted by my dad and Henry and getting tired.  The dog just looked at Matt and didn't bother him.  We all hurried up the hill, but the dog luckily decided not to follow.  Mark could squeeze by, and the dog chased the three of us, but Matt got through with no problem.
After that episode, our heart rates were higher than usual but settled down soon. But our adrenaline didn't.
During the last part of the day's ride, we saw tourists in UTVs and ATVs, all wearing helmets.   No locals will drive slowly with helmets on; they will fly on those trails, disregarding safety precautions.  
We stopped at a gas station to fill our water bottles and met some people who were interested in our journey and asked how we knew where we were going.  Mark showed them our maps, and Matt and I got a head start, but the rest soon caught up.
We made it to the city park. The pool would close soon, but they let us take showers there. There were no incidents in the girls' showers, but my dad had an incident with a local.
My dad had been showering, and he was one of the last. After his shower, he went to the staff and thanked them. Then, a mom approached my dad with her son in tow. She asked him, "Were you in the shower naked?!"
My dad had no idea what this was about and thought maybe it was a trick question. So, trying to answer safely, my dad said, "I think so."
Then the mom goes, "Well, my son saw your private thing! I don't want my son to see your private thing at such an early age!  Next time, shower with your swimsuit on so no one can see your private thing!"
Everyone in the hall is quiet, watching the whole scene unfold. My dad tries to defuse the situation and says, "Ma'am, we might have different perspectives. I don't think I did anything wrong, but I'm sorry."
Later, the manager came over with nachos for each of us, apologized profusely, and let us into the staff kitchen to get a cold drink for free.
The manager reminded me of a former director from my homeschool co-op, Mrs. Pullins. Both the manager and Mrs. Pullins have a unique way of talking, with their southern accents and embellished words.
Later, Mark went walking around to talk to people. He ended up talking to a woman, Norma, who had planned a family reunion that night. Norma invited us to eat as much as we wanted because they had so many leftovers.  So, we all got some food, and Norma and her brother kept telling us to get more food, so we did!
Norma's brother, Richard, has the last name of Duty. He told us that when he had a boy, he would name him Heavy, and when he had a girl, he would name her Light. He never did end up doing that.
Later, we went to a pavilion and slept under it, and there were no mischievous people in the park that night.

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh. There seems to have been a lot of rude people/dogs that day. Norma and Richard sound really nice tho!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Backstory

Day 1 (June 2nd, 2024) - A brutal start

Day 4 (June 5th, 2024)